Tuesday, March 22, 2011
5 Tips to Avoid Muffin Top
That said, I've learned a few tricks to minimize this problem. So I thought I'd share them with all of you!
1. Avoid Elastic Waistbands at ALL Costs. If you're worried about muffin top, opt for a drawstring or foldover top yoga pant.
2. Check Your Undies. Panties are a BIG issue for me. If you wear underwear to yoga class, make sure they fit correctly. If you're underwear is giving you muffin top it doesn't matter what pair of yoga pants you put on over it.
3. Buy a Bigger Size. Sometimes all you need to do to banish muffin top is buy a bigger size! I will admit to having a problem with this some of the time. It's silly, but it's pretty important to me to buy the size that I think I should wear (even though I know sizes vary drastically between brands and styles). So.. I simply won't buy a pair of pants if there's not plenty of room for movement (and bloating after a big meal) in the size I think I should wear. It's dumb, though, so don't be like me. Just buy a bigger size... and cut out the tag if it makes you feel better.
4. Try a Higher Rise. Most muffin tops are the result of low rise pants that sit on the fleshiest part of the body (between the natural waist and the hip). Avoiding it could be as simple as finding a style with a slightly higher rise. Also, make sure your top is long enough to give you full coverage--especially when you bend over for Uttanasana!
5. Eat Fewer Muffins. I'm kidding! If you take nothing else away from this blog, understand that the muffin top phenomenon is NOT YOUR FAULT! It doesn't mean you're fat. You certainly don't need to go on a diet or do more crunches. I blame poorly constructed pants and clothing designers that don't understand real our bodies!