But this show has caused me to think a lot about what makes a great performer and great leader. Contestants on American Idol have many of the same qualities that great yoga teachers have... Coincidentally, I think they are also characteristics that yoga can help cultivate.
1. Voice. Will practicing yoga give you an amazing singing voice? Nope. But it can help you become more clear about the message that it conveys.
2. Confidence. If you don't believe in yourself, why should anyone else? To be an idol you have to be Nothing makes you more confident than arm balances.
3. Grace. It takes a special personality to take criticism in stride. It takes incredible resolve to believe in yourself no matter what anyone else says.
4. Charisma. How can yoga give you more charisma? It makes you more comfortable in who you are ... so you stop holding back and let it all hang out--your humor, goofiness, flaws and failures. That's my definition of charisma.
5. Empathy. If you want others to relate to you and your stories, you have to be able to put yourself in their shoes. When you start to understand yourself more clearly through practicing yoga, helps you to understand how others feel. Whether you're looking to connect with people as a performer or just in your everyday life, this is what makes people shine.
Do you agree?