Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stress ... I'm Opting Out

Stress is stupid.

I've been paying close attention to the things that stress me out lately. What I've noticed is that I get in a tizzy over things that don't actually matter--a typo on a blog post or press release, failing to reach some arbitrary goal at work, not meeting some family member's expectation. These things that I get SO upset about don't put someone's life on the line. They don't threaten someone's job. They don't even cost a lot of money.

So why on earth do I get so stressed out about things that I can't control and that don't matter anyway? I don't know... but I've decided not to do it any more. That's right. I'm opting out. I can't control many, many things in life, but I can control the way I react to them. So the next time something trivial seems like a life-or-death matter when it's really not that big of a deal I'm going to close my eyes, breathe deep, and try to see it as an objective observer. And if that doesn't work, I'm going to work it all out on my yoga mat.

What dumb things do you stress about? How do you put it into perspective? What do you do to