Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Love Affair: Supta Padangusthasana

I'm afraid to tell you this because I might jinx it ... but here goes...

I've been meditating again. Every day. In the mornings before work. This is something that has seemed like an impossible feat for me--someone who always wakes up a few minutes late, then rushes the dog out the door, and can never find the right thing to wear. Here's a trick I've learned. If I meditate before I start rushing around like a mad woman, the need to rush kind of evaporates and I make it work on time even though I'm moving a little slower as I do my morning rituals.

The most surprising part of my new morning meditation ritual (knock on wood) is that after I've focused on my breath for 10 minutes, I take just a few more to do an asana or two.... and my pose of my choice has been Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose). This is an odd choice for me. I've been obsessed with arm balances for the last year and have had very little interest in any pose that works on my already flexible hamstrings... And although I typically get bored of practicing the same poses every day, I've been coming back to this one (and only this one) again and again for the last few weeks.
Image: YogaJournal.com

Guess what? It's SO much more than a hamstring opener! Guess what else?! The twisted variation is my pose nemesis--Revolved Triangle! (I seriously hate this pose when it's a standing pose, but reclined it's pretty awesome.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if my meditation is giving me intuition to work on a pose that my body needs (rather than an arm balance or backbend that feeds my ego) or what the deal is, but right now I'm loving my practice!

What pose are you obsessed with right now?