Friday, February 17, 2012

Balancing Poses, Balancing Life

Before I was pregnant if you asked me what poses I'd be practicing daily at 31 weeks pregnant, I probably would have said "Supta Baddha Konasana" or "Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose"...  I certainly would not have mentioned balancing poses like Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose), Vrksasana (Tree Pose), or Virabhadrasana III (Warrior 3 Pose). But with 15 extra pounds on my belly, more flexible joints, and a body changing faster than I've ever experienced in my life, I can't get enough of the very poses that I would think should be the most challenging--the poses that most teachers would caution me to practice next to a wall just in case my changing center of gravity causes me to waver. And they feel effortless.

In fact, I couldn't feel better.

It's a beautiful metaphor for life now and what's to come in my life. When I shift from Triangle Pose to Half Moon, it's a reminder that I am strong enough to balance this growing baby, my practice, and whatever craziness life puts in my hands. I can do it!

What poses empower you right now?